Traveling Abroad with O Negative

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      William Pope
      Participant

I am probably traveling to Israel for business in the coming months and this question has plagued me!

From what little I have seen, Middle Eastern and Asian countries have very low populations with O Neg blood type which leads me to believe there to be a very low supply of O Neg blood.

Extrapolating from this, if I were to be injured in a country with a very low percentage of O Negative population and in need a transfusion what would happen?

What might our options be?

*** take a one quart ziplock baggie of 3 oz. bottles of our blood with us on board??
      *** Don’t donate 54+ day beforehand and immediately donate upon entry into said country?
      *** Only Travel with other O Negative people

None of which seems to be plausible solutions

Any one else have suggestions???

SiteAdmin
      Keymaster

Well, it is logical to also think that because of the low O-negative population, the supply is low, but the demand is equally low.
      So the blood banks in that countries should satisfy the blood need for O-negative, not less than in any other country.

I think that you should not worry too much about blood transfusion in those countries and have your happy stay there 🙂
      The second option though sounds quite plausible to me.

*** Don’t donate 54+ day beforehand and immediately donate upon entry into said country?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.